We appreciate all inquiries to donate books. However, due to our limited space and resources, there are several guidelines we ask you to follow.
- We do not accept hardcover books. Most prisons do not allow them, and they are expensive to mail.
- Please review the topics we are in need of (listed below). Do not donate out-of-date or obscure texts. We are currently overloaded with foreign language books, literature anthologies, writing textbooks, plays, poetry, and specialized humanities texts.
- We cannot accept books with underlining/notes or books that are heavily worn.
- We cannot make book pickups. Please drop off book donations at our space in Red Hook.
- Our most requested items are English dictionaries, Spanish/English dictionaries, and thesauruses.
- For book drives, we cannot accept more than 5 medium-size boxes of books at one time
We would love to receive PAPERBACK books in good condition on the following topics:
- African-American history, especially 20th century
- Native-American history
- Latin-American history
- Social sciences
- How-to (drawing, origami, chess, knitting, sign language…)
- Mayan and Aztec history
- Memoirs and fiction by people of color
- Dictionaries, thesauruses, GED studies, atlases
- Language studies
- Guides to starting a business
- Yoga and pilates guides
- Mass-market mysteries, thrillers, sci-fi
Other than these topics, we will accept books on a case-by-case basis. If you have questions about donations, please send us an email.
Also, check out our BookMooch wishlist for a list of the specifics books we need the most.
BOOKS WE CANNOT ACCEPT:
- Hardcover books
- Religious texts (INCLUDING BIBLES)
- Old magazines
- White supremacist literature
- Books advocating racial animosity, sexism, or homophobia
- Computer books
- Books with notes or underlining
- Heavily worn books
- Outdated books
WHERE TO BRING BOOK DONATIONS:
Please drop off donations at our packing site:
- Freebird Books, 123 Columbia St, Brooklyn, NY
Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to accept books through the mail.
WHEN TO BRING DONATED BOOKS:
You can drop off books during the following times:
- Monday from 7:30 pm-9:30 pm (bring to our basement packing space)
- Sundays from 2:00 pm-5:00 pm (bring to our basement packing space)
- Saturdays/Sundays from 11:00 am-8:00 pm (leave at Freebird)